Burglaries In Ireland Up 33% In Ireland Compared To Last Year
Data published over the past 10 years by the Central Statistics Office reveals that, on average, 1 in every 10 homes in Ireland has experienced a burglary in that period, with a total of 182,609 burglaries reported.
PhoneWatch published its annual burglary report earlier this week, which outlines its research into burglary patterns over the past ten years. For the report, Phonewatch looked at 10 years’ worth of CSO Burglary stats, along with data from its Dublin based Alarm Receiving Centre, and conducted some consumer research through Bounce Insights.
- Data from the Phonewatch Alarm Receiving Centre shows that those with a monitored home alarm are over 4 times less likely to be burgled!
- 3 out of 4 (72%) Irish homeowners are concerned about a break-in in their homes
- Over a third (39%) feel worried when home alone
- The time of year has a huge impact on how safe people feel, with over half (58%) feeling least protected throughout the winter months and 64% feeling particularly unsafe at night-time
- Although 80% of people have never had a home break-in, or a smoke or fire incident (87%), that doesn’t stop over 40% of us regularly asking our neighbours to check in on our homes while we are not there
Eoin Dunne, Managing Director of PhoneWatch, said “It’s worrying to see a 33% increase in the nationwide burglary rate and indeed an increase across most counties in Ireland. If this rate of increase was to continue until the end of the year, there would be approximately 11,500 burglaries in 2022. At PhoneWatch, our aim is never to scare or unnecessarily frighten people, but to make them aware of the realities of burglary so that they can take the preventative measures to help prevent such occurrences. Above all else, PhoneWatch want people to feel safe in their homes. We are reminding all homeowners to take simple but effective steps to help avoid the trauma of a burglary, especially as the dark evenings close in.”
Protect the things and people you cherish most with a monitored home alarm from PhoneWatch. Total peace of mind with instant response to your burglar and smoke alarms 24 hours a day. Discover how PhoneWatch can help by visiting www.phonewatch.ie.